Friday, April 21, 2006

Starting with some unfinished business ...

First of all, I have to say that setting up this blog was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. So I am a little happier with "the look" but still not completely. I'll learn as I go.

Where to start? Well, seeing as I am doing this primarily because I enjoy making "things", I thought perhaps I should list all the projects I am currently working on. Then as I work on them and finish them, I can share all the triumphs and many tragedies. And as most of my crafting work is done late at night when my girls (and husband) have gone to bed, as a consequence, there will be lots and lots of tragedies. I also figure that if I actually document what I am doing, I will realise that, a. I need to stop starting so many things and b. if it has been documented, I have to finish it.

So here goes.

  1. The quilt for Hamish and my bed. I fell in love with the Amy Butler "Ginger Bliss" range of fabric when it was first released. So I bought the fabric, looked at and played with it for six months, cut it out and arranged and rearranged it for three, sewed it up overnight, cheated and sent it off to be machine quilted and now I admire it, without it's binding. I have been doing this for seven months now. It is a labour of love.

    The photo is a bit dark (something else I am going to have to learn all about). It is such a dark day here today that I am going to blame my lack of photographic skill on the weather. But you can see the lovely frayed wadding edges beautifully. And, I just had to show that backing fabric. Now that was one of my triumphs. $1 a metre from Spotlight in a sale. Just standing in the line and waiting with my number 47 (they were calling 14 when I joined) for an hour and having people look at my giant bolt of fabric with a "What the hell is she going to do with that hideous 70's throwback fabric" was worth every cent of the dollar a metre I paid for it.
  2. A cot quilt for Alice. The really sad part about this is that a few weeks ago, she went into a bed. Or as we call it around here, "a big girls bed". I am in the midst of hand quilting it. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
  3. A quilt for Alice's "big girls bed". This is at the idea in my head stage. I think I will go for 30's repro/feedsack fabric in greens and purples.
  4. 27 little make-up bags for Beth's school's Mother's Day Stall. You'll be pleased to know these are nearly finished. I might even get them done this weekend.
  5. A scarf for Beth. Almost done, minus the embellishments. Every nearly six year old girl needs flowers with sparkly button centres on her scarf.
  6. My latest and I must say, very exciting, project. A square for Nichola's "Wall of Yarn" gallery. Exciting, because it only has to measure 15 X 15cm and it shouldn't take me that long. Should it ? No, exciting because it will be great to take part in something so collaborative and in a small way, have my first piece of craft on show. Thank you Nichola for such an inspired idea.

On a positive note, which is always a good way to end, I did make a skirt for Beth this week. Yes, I started it and finished it all in 2 days. I will take a photo of that soon with her in it. She is off to a birthday party tomorrow and funnily enough, is quite keen to wear it. I haven't quite figured that one out yet. Could it be that she genuinely likes it?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is looking wonderful and i'm glad that you're taking part in the 'Wall of art'.

3:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the humour you've showed in emails gets transposed into your blog - congratulations on making the jump and I wish you every success :)

10:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home