Monday, April 24, 2006

Crafts from a time gone by ....

Last week Hamish bought home "MX" which is the free newspaper that is distributed at the train stations in the city in Melbourne. He used to catch the train to work every day when he worked in the city. Sadly, the highlight of my day was when he walked through the door of an evening and casually tossed me my "MX" which I grabbed like a child scrambling for lollies. He had to go into town for a meeting last Thursday and as a very special treat, he came home and handed me the "MX". It's the little things in life that keep me happy.
Each day they have an interview column called "The Mad Minute". Being a Mum who really doesn't get out to trendy Brunswick for my shopping, I had never heard of Chitra Mangma and her boutique "Chitra's Closet". I may just be admitting that I am way out of things, I'm not sure. Nonetheless, the interview last Thursday was with Chitra and I just had to recount her answer to one of the questions:
MX - "What's next for you?"
Chitra - "A little fashion empire - I want an office building with a tea room and a room where women can learn to be creative. I'd like to build up and encourage a community where crafts like knitting and embroidery are learnt and practiced again. It's a pity we don't have much time for this any more".
I really loved this. I think of the things that my grandmother's and great aunts used to create and I wonder how they had the time to sit and do them. Was it because they lived in an era when these kind of crafts were valued? Not that they aren't valued now, maybe just looked upon in a different way. I am starting to notice though that things may be starting to come full circle. Perhaps my girls will sit in our drawing room embroidering supper cloths before going off to nightclubs?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home