Thursday, August 24, 2006

The grown-up's version ...


I've always had a thing for stationery. I was the kind of child who would just sit and go through my school bag the week before we went back to school. I would fondle and caress and smell the new books and love the newness of my pencils. I loved covering my books and sticking on the book labels from the "Woman's Weekly". And first week back at school, my favourite thing for the year was to make the cover page on the front page of my exercise books. I think that is why I loved making the pencil rolls so much. It was that thing of unrolling the roll and seeing all the pencil's laid out and in order and none missing.

I went into Kikki-K on the weekend. I love all the note books and pens and pencils and other paraphanalia in there. I think this may be what inspired me. What about a pencil roll for grown up's? Stylish, with a compartment for a note pad or diary and then a couple of compartments for pens. Perfect for someone like myself who has pens and note pads and diary floating all around my hand bag. So I made this one. For me! I think I may make some more.

Thank you to everyone for their input on what I should call my little fledgling business. I was purposely vague in my thoughts to see if I could get an unbiased result. Like on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" when the contestant says something like, "Well, I'm thinking it might be A, but I'll ask the audience." Guaranteed, the audience will come back and A will win. Catch my drift?

Anyway, "Pink Milk Designs" has out polled "violet and rose" 57% to 41%.

To answer some questions. Yes, I prefer just plain old pink milk, but when I checked, it is already registered as a business name. And then some very kind people let me know that there is an Etsy shop called pink milk and there is indeed a pink milk website where you can buy "Charlie and Lola" merchandise. And for those who missed the link, yes, I took the name from "Charlie and Lola".

So, now, my dilemma. Has pink milk been milked dry?

I know that my tag line is going to be "Funky Old Fashioned Favourites". The idea behind the things I make is that they are a new take on old ideas. I toyed with the idea of just calling it FOFF. But no.

Maybe I'll go against the grain and use "violet and rose". I like this because it can be interpreted in so many ways. Flowers, colours, names. Not quite so restrictive.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm off to do some sewing now. If you're wondering what, check here or here and stay tuned.

12 Comments:

Blogger lazy cow said...

Oh, oh, oh, I want one of those pencil rolls, but I want it to put the book I'm currently reading (so it would need to be a bit thicker?) and a pen or 2 for notes. I'd really be interested in buying one if you're going to make them, so could you please email me with the details?

2:55 pm  
Blogger Megan said...

Mmmm, new paper. I buy books just for that smell.

3:02 pm  
Blogger kirsten said...

I have a stationery fetish, too. Violet and Rose is good - sounds as if you have a couple of maiden aunts held captive in the attic making stuff!

3:05 pm  
Blogger Anastasia said...

Looks very chic!! I really like it!
I loved the new school year and getting ready for it, brings back nice memories!

4:36 pm  
Blogger julie said...

Jo, I LOVE your idea for a grown up pencil roll!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant. That is an essential in my bag!!
Its so hard to choose a name...you have to think of so many things and also try and think into the future..

4:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still love sharpening pencils - the smell of the timber being peeled back, new pencil shavings suggesting newness.

And C+L started the pink milk obsession with Max in our house, but we've moved on now to Juice. Just saying. In case Reconsituted Apple Juice Mixed With Water grabbed you as a name.

9:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woman's weekly book labels. Now that brings back memories. Oliva N J, Skippy, Duran Duran, KISS, Split Enz, The Culture CLub, INXS, Cute fluffy dogs and cats...maybe I'm just showing my age.

Violet and Rose, (V & R, R & V)...it will be great. Those 2 colours are great together too.

I refuse to go to Kikki K, because I just spend too much.

10:43 pm  
Blogger marianne said...

Love the tag line and I think it sits well with violet & rose (not that I'm biased or anything). When can we put in an order for the grown up pecil roll ? The stripey tie wrap bit is just perfect but tell me is the fabric squashed-unknown-food-in- the-bottom-of-your-bag repellant?

11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, now I know what I want! Please sell some soon! That's exactly what I need in my purse.

Thank you for your kind email...doing much better and am going back home today, complete with vintage fabric I inherited from my grandma.

3:11 am  
Blogger Suse said...

There's a beauty for your stall/etsy shop!

Good luck with new name. Brown Milk doesn't have quite the same ring as Pink Milk, does it? What a shame it was already taken.

12:21 pm  
Blogger 62cherry said...

hi ya. I love the grown up's version good work! :)
I like Violet and Rose 'cause if we have another girl I would choose either of those names. I am back on-line by the way!!!!

6:10 pm  
Blogger thebutterflycollector said...

I love going into Kikki k too, very tempting as is Smiggle in Melbourne Central and when I'm in little kid mode ... morning glory on Swanston St and for the ultimate indulgences zetta florence on Brunswick street! You know all know I'm a paper junkie too! I love your grown up pencil rolls, you might get tons of orders for these! Artists would love them to carry their tools around in! I still think Violet and Rose is beautiful! It can be grown up and kiddey too! Oh and an invitation ... my new website is up and running, would love you to come and visit! Shae xo www.madamebutterflygallery.com.au

12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home