Monday, August 14, 2006

Tipping the scales ...

I'm a Libran. Balance is very important to me.

At the moment, things are a little unbalanced around here.

So many things I want to do. So many things I need to do. Oh my gosh, is that the time already? You get the drift.

Therefore, my posts are not as frequent as I would like them to be as I search for that elusive equilibrium in my life. And also, as I like to post mainly about what I have made, I really haven't been making anything new of late. More pencil rolls and tissue holders, but how many of those can you see before you would be seriously bored with me?

So today, I will post about two things.

Two. See? Nice and even.

Firstly, I want to start my own business, selling all the little things I make. Scroll back, check my flick-r, you'll get the gist. My first venture is going to be a stall at Beth's school market night on December 1. That's achievable for me. I have a lot of stock to make. But I need a name! I saw this little poll gizmo on
Nic's site last week and I was quite taken with it, so I have blatantly stolen the idea. (Still waiting to hear what you had for dinner, Nic?) Help me. Please vote. Or if you think both names are shocking, leave me a helpful, but nice, comment.
What would be the best name for my business?
violet and rose
Pink Milk Design
Web Polls by Vizu

Secondly, just to let everyone know there are still lovely, kind people out there in the world. In one of my first ever posts, I mentioned a lovely lady by the name of Chitra who has a gorgeous shop in Brunswick, in Melbourne, called Chitra's Closet. Somehow, out in blogland, she found my post and e-mailed me. She asked if I would like her fabric off-cuts? I said no thank you, that I really wasn't interested in her gorgeous fabric that she was just going to give me out of the kindness of her heart. I'm joking! I jumped at it.

So off I went with Beth for the afternoon and we picked up a bag with some fantastic fabric and some rather lovely lace and trims. Chitra is moving to a bigger showroom soon and is going to have an area devoted to crafts where she can encourage woman to find the time to sit and "craft". When I hear more, I will let you know.

Thank you Chitra. And for those of you in Melbourne, if you are looking to expand your wardrobe, especially if you are after something special, it's well worth a visit. Details on the web site.

And in the interests of balancing out my day, that's all folks. That, and I've got school pick-up to do.

24 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

I have to say - i have missed your more frequent posts!
And good luck with starting your business! I tried voting but there is an error so.. pink milk designs for me.
Thats a lovely story about the shop!!

4:12 pm  
Blogger Megan said...

Jo, way to go! Starting small and 'do-able' is a great idea. I have a personal preference for Violet Rose over Violet and Rose - I know that's not the poll, but that is what I would choose.

5:09 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

I like pink milk - reminds me of drinking pink quik when I was a child.

5:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I voted for pink milk designs - but to be a pain what about just "pink milk" sweeeeet mate.

Ooh that fabric offer from Chitra!! Too lovely.

AND WHAT did we eat...wait and see ;)

5:43 pm  
Blogger kirsten said...

I voted for pink milk too - is that because it's nearly dinnertime?

6:18 pm  
Blogger Anastasia said...

Exciting times ahead Jo - all the best with it!
i too have missed your posts!
I guess with choosing a name maybe u should think ahead a little and where you want your little business to go in the future -this was an interesting post

http://whipup.net/2006/03/29/naming-your-crafts-business/#comments

I like both choices -'Pink Milk Designs' sounds great, fresh and fun and has a connection to your girls.
Violet and Rose is an older, chicer feel to it - both are great and Im sure you'll do well!

6:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot, I'm a Libran too :) when's yours?

7:14 pm  
Blogger 62cherry said...

what a great post. I voted and I am in the minority!!!
I'd be interested about the craft get together :)

9:36 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

I like Pink Milk Designs, but worry that it may be slightly alienating if you are hoping to sell for a boy demographic as well as a girlie one.

10:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, maybe just Pink Milk. The words look good together visually too. 4 letters each. Both end with K. Now that is balanced.
And would you Melbourne bloggers stop it with all the wonderful information about things in Melbourne...I love that city so much!:)

11:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey maybe this whole starting a 'craft' business could make a good book. Short stories from crafty mothers trying to make it. IT could be full of advise and tips. Esp. Aussie mums.

11:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I like pink milk design too and althought it is a "girly" name, unless you are planning to produce for the masses you would be ok. All of the things you make are so lovely and I think you will do well!

P.S. I'm a libra too and have also found it difficult to balance things lately, maybe the stars are in the wrong alighnment or something?!?

11:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all for the Violet Rose idea, and Pink Milk (without the designs) as a close second. You'll have to explain that one (pink milk?) but both are cool and different. I wish you luck on your booth and your store...I'm thinking of launching more myself, just as soon as I get more supplies for my gocco.
Missed you!

12:03 am  
Blogger Alison said...

It's Pink Milk for me as well. I'm with Nicole and would consider dropping the 'Design' I've just dropped it from my label and it kind of sounds more grown up without it. You're going to have such fun creating a logo for it! The very best of British luck Jo!

1:02 am  
Blogger LBA said...

I liked Pink Milk too .. but it bugged me also .. it reminded me of something else ... oh yeah ..

Series 1 & 2 of "My Restaurant Rules" ( Mylk, and Pink Salt, respectively )

But then, I think I was the only one obsessed with that show .. ;)

9:17 am  
Blogger Sue said...

It sounds as though Pink Milk Designs is the favourite, but I like Violet and Roses, partly because Isabelle's middle name is Rose. I always associate it with something beautiful and sweet. I hope that your stall goes well too. I know how you feel about time getting away from you as I am starting to feel that way also, especially with xmas just around the corner.

10:02 am  
Blogger Miriam said...

Hi! I didn't choose Pink Milk because I realised that one of my favourite Etsy stores is already called that!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=17998

I love the pink milk reference tho'. Me and my two little girls are fans of Lauren Child over here "There is pink milk in this fridge" Love it! :-)

11:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Pink Milk for me, very Lauren Child - who I want to be when I grow up. Good luck with your venture Jo, your stuff is gorgeous.

11:20 am  
Blogger Megan said...

PS Jo - my Bloglines says you have 30 subscribers, so there. Thanks for kind words, sometimes you just need a little pat on the back every now and then, eh?

3:15 pm  
Blogger devinemom said...

i am so happy for you. it is quite difficult thinking of a name. we have been trying to think of a good one for some time now that that is the thing holding me back.

my vote is for Pink milk.

best of luck with all to come.

4:05 pm  
Blogger marianne said...

You already know that I love violet & rose but I think pink milk( I agree w/o the design) would take you a long way as well...

8:48 pm  
Blogger thebutterflycollector said...

Violetand Rose is beautiful!!! Just think of the wonderful colour you could use on your business stationary etc!!! Good Luck, I hope it all goes smashingly fabulous for you!!! Thanks for the link mto Chitra, wow what a fabulous website and gorgeous clothes too! will have to go and visit!

8:37 am  
Blogger Suse said...

Pink Milk.

(My word verifcation is is EGGUM, which I believe tastes really really good with pink milk)

11:18 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the wonderful link to Chitra, as a fairly new melbourne girl I still have lots of secrets to discover here! And thank you for leaving such a lovely comment on my own site - it was much appreciated.
Hope you had a wonderful anniversary.

11:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home