Friday, July 07, 2006

WIP Friday

Today I thought WIP Friday was a great opportunity to showcase my latest challenge.
Yes, you may have heard the term bandied about
here or here, by my fellow TACK challenged participants, Nic and Al.

In yesterday's post, I made brief mention of "Spotlight". Just the mere mention provokes many a comment, some good, some not so good. For those of you who aren't aware, Spotlight is a chain of stores that once upon a time, sold only fabric and haberdashery. Now I believe you can buy a green and purple spotted, three legged dog with the mange there. But just don't ask where you would find said dog. No staff member will be able to help you with that. And make sure you don't need to have some fabric cut to make said dog a cute little jacket because when you arrive at the cutting counter, you will pick up number 48 and they will be calling for number 3. And the 45 people ahead of you will all be carrying 8 bolts of fabric to be cut.

The challenge was to find three pieces of fabric that we felt best embodied the fabric on selection at Spotlight. This truly was a challenge, because where would you start? These were the pieces that I selected to send on to my TACK buddies.

Meow!

Now, in case you missed it TACK Challenge is tongue in cheek but I do need to tell everyone that I am a Spotlight VIP card holder. Because as much and all as I think Spotlight fabric leaves A LOT to be desired, there are things that you just have to buy there. And I am the first to own up and say I do this. But I never said it was an enjoyable experience.

Why do I love to hate Spotlight so much? Possibly because I remember the days in Melbourne when we did have quality large fabric stores, or emporiums even. I remember the days when Myer Melbourne had a fabric and haberdashery department. I remember the days when "Cleg's" was a much loved Melbourne institution. I have memories of going in to both with my mother. I was in there the other week and sure, they did have some lovely Liberty prints, but that was really about it. Just not what it used to be. And Lincraft, well, if you scrounge you can pick up a bargain or two, but if you think the service is poor in Spotlight .....

My work in progress is at the stage where I am playing with this "gorgeous" fabric, tossing around some ideas. We have to make something in a log cabin pattern. "Ahhh, pretty", I hear you say. Yes, oh yes, it will be. And just to tempt you a little more, I can reveal that my TACK Challenge WIP has a name! I can hear the gasps of horror, yet strange delight.

I tossed around many an idea. So much to play with. Australian animals, balloons, flames. I was contemplating something Mambo-esque with Jesus and the flames and the animals. Then it came to me. My piece will be called

"Bless my Soles"

Stay tuned for more TACK Challenge.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - more like bless your little cotton socks. Love it Jo.

3:56 pm  
Blogger Anastasia said...

Oh I cant wait to see what you make!!
This was a lovely post ahhh those were the days...I too can remember Myers having a huge habedashery dept - my mother is a fantastic seamstress and as a child we used to spend hours in some great fabric shops which sadly are all shut!
Im proud to have a spotlight VIP card too! heehee

4:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I said to Nicole, let Jesus be your guide.

I'm sure He would approve of fluffy high heeled slippers, no?

6:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Jo. That fabric belongs back in the 80s! Except the Jesus print...not sure where that fits...hmmm...I would feel terrible cutting into it. What if I cut off his head? Good luck!

2:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well I am certainly intrigued - can't wait to learn more. Thanks too for dropping by my blog and saying hello.

7:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this idea so much, and can't wait to see what you each come up with. I saw the cat fabric on Nicole's blog and got a little bit spooked, but that Jesus fabric... sheesh!

9:34 pm  
Blogger thebutterflycollector said...

my husband is wondering why I am laughing in here by myself, that was hilarious!!! It's great to meet others who understand the perils of the vast land of Spotlight! Thanks for visiting my blog JO, it will be great to get to know you better, we are roaming the same blog circles and I kept seeing your name and now I've finally clicked here! Not only are we both Reids and close to Melbourne... We also both have kids, like the same music,have the same housework problems, both love kids books and have both worked in retail!!!I'm linking you up so I can click over here quick for blog updates, thanks for your lovely comments too!

12:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and don't forget re spotlight when there are 46 people ahead of you, 45 of them will ask questions of the staff WHEN THEY GET TO THE COUNTER! I mean, come on, you have had 1.5 hours to contemplate your navel and everyone else around you and you have to ask NOW? :-)

1:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget spotlights recent work place agreements, they screw their employees as well as their customers.

4:38 pm  
Blogger Sue said...

I too am a VIP card holder at Spotlight, and yes the fabrics are not too great are they. I remember when I worked in the city and I would go to Myer in the craft section which would have a nice range of things. Clegs I have only been to a couple of times for yarn, and Lincraft, well I do know what you mean there. One good thing at Lincraft though is their sock yarn is cheap. By the way your daughter's bracelet was just so cute.

9:46 am  
Blogger Suse said...

That Jesus fabric is crying out to be made into a lampshade.

(I have seen the light ...)

9:43 pm  
Blogger kirsten said...

First time here, Jo. This is SO funny! I go to Spotlight in Townsville and it is EXACTLY the same. It is also the same in Brisbane and the four New Zealand stores I've been in. I love the TACK challenge! Great idea! and I super-duper love love love the Jesus fabric.

8:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home