Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Life. As a check-list ...

My life is going by as one big check-list at the moment. Each trip to the post office sees another tick on my list. This is my Magic Yarn Ball, currently winging its way to Christy in Portland. Have a look at her fantastic artworks on her web site.
This is the magazine I am sending to Amy in Orange County, California, for
Cotton Strudels Magazine Swap. She is an architect, so I hope she enjoys "Inside Out". It's one of my favourites. By the way, I'm not spoiling her surprise, she knows what she is getting, but there may be a few other surprises. Part of the swap package I sent to Justine. She admired my dishcloth purse so we decided to do a swap. I found a tutorial for making a tissue holder at Stardust Shoes so decided to make a little matching set. Because every grown up girl needs matching things in her handbag.
I lined it with red gingham to match the red gingham oilcloth lining in the make-up purse. Please excuse the state of the hand models hand. She was called in to do the shoot at the last moment and just didn't have time for a manicure and polish.
Very important item for check-list. Beth's 6th birthday party invitations. Last year I had Beth's party at home. There were 8 little girls and that was borderline nutty. Being in the middle of winter, I can't really send the kids outside, especially if it's raining (tempting and all as it may be). This year, the list of invitees expanded to 14 in total, including 4 boys. Boys add a whole new added dimension. Our house is small, but that's another story for another post entitled "We had plans drawn up so my husband could keep them in his bottom drawer". So, as much and all is it kills me to do it, we are going to a local hotel for the party. They have an indoor playground, do face painting and most importantly on Beth's party check-list, they have ice-cream cake. That kills me too, because every year I make Beth's cake. I've made a ladybird, Minnie Mouse, a butterfly, a princess castle. And all she wants is the ice-cream cake. So, to hang on to something of my daughter's birthday, I had to make the invitations. Because that is what I do. I cannot buy invitations. Not that I think twice when my girls receive a non hand made invite, but I have to make mine. And handwrite them, all, at all hours of the night. Because that is what I do. Because I can't help myself.
And here they are, all ready to be posted. Even though we walked past three of the party invitees home's to get to the post box. My pet hate is the Schindler's List approach to distributing children's party invitations. The child stands at their classroom door with their bundle of invites, "One for you", "No, you don't get one", "You can have one". It breaks my heart. So we post ours. And what child doesn't love receiving mail. Or child's mother for that matter.

And I think that Australia Post just needed to get that last cent out of my purse this week too. I have handed the equivalent of the national debt over to them this week.

I have also posted a parcel to Sara and last but not least, one will go out to Julie soon, I promise Julie, soon.

Off to Picasso tomorrow night. Frock, beads, boots and funky tights at the ready.

And this was going to be a quick post ...

10 Comments:

Blogger Anastasia said...

Wow you have been busy girly!
Im with you on the birthday invites - I have to make them too just so I can add the personal mummy touch!
Have fun at the art gallery tommorow - should be great!

2:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes what little tacker doesnt love mail?? I certainly do. Nice invites indeed. And if I were you Id send them out in the rain, if they get colds you can always blame one of the kids you dont really like....

3:46 pm  
Blogger julie said...

Busy bee!! The invites are lovely! And everything you are sending is great actually..stop worrying!!!

4:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the cake; when she's older (our age) she will fondly remember the cakes you made for her. I still remember the coconut-frosted angel food cake my mom made for me. Now I can't stand angel food, but back then it was perfect. I am anxiously awaiting the parcel! Isn't there a 50's song about waiting for the postman?
PS...I did see Eddie Munster, but was too shy to get an autograph!

1:17 am  
Blogger Alison said...

Wow - you really do have your creative hat on at the moment. Your work is super! I've also been going though a tissue holder making phase. They're addictive aren't they. I love the fabric you've used. It really does have a vintage look to it that I adore.

3:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one. After a birthday party at home with 8 boys I said NO MORE. And this year we went to the local swimming pool where some poor girls had the pleasure of organising games for 15 boys and girls whilst making sure they didn't drown each other. They gave them food too (although I retained the pleasure to make the cake - Scooby Doo, need I say more about the state of things?) and the best thing was that afterwords they were soooo tired from all the swimming that even the opening present time was calm and subdued. I highly recommend it.

5:46 am  
Blogger Megan said...

Well, I was going for a trip to 'town' myself in a minute, but after reading this I think I may need a little lie down. Phewph.

Those invites are great.

10:34 am  
Blogger Joanna said...

Hi from a fellow Jo!! ;) Thanks for stopping my my blog. I absolutely love what you've done with the tissue holders. The gingham lining is perfect and the little tag sticking out of the end is great! Love the party invitations as well. Beautiful blog!

8:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool tissue holder and wallet. I love the colours.

12:40 pm  
Blogger Suse said...

Oh, and this one!

9:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home