Friday, June 23, 2006

Mermaids ...

In my blog title, I mention that my inspiration (I feel like I am using words that don't belong here) for making things comes mostly from my girl's. That is very true of my latest creative endeavour.

Last year, I bought the girls some mermaid finger puppets. They loved them. They gave them little names and did plays with them that Hamish and I sat through on numerous occasions. The thought did cross my mind that sometimes these plays were used as stalling tactics so they didn't have to go to bed, but nonetheless, they were very amusing. And being finger puppet size, I would often pop them in my handbag when we went out, especially if we were "dining" (could you call it that?) and they would be amused for a further 5 minutes, at least.

Then they discovered that Lola loved Mermaids too. Especially the Mermaids in the typing pool in "I am Far Too Extremely Busy" and the ones in the underwater supermarket in "I Will Not Ever, Never Eat A Tomato" . Both episodes on our
DVD. Then it was all over, red rover. Like the hooly hoops. The Mermaid phenomena hit town. It was all about Mermaids. Alice is now obsessed with watching "The Little Mermaid" and Beth quite often will come out dressed in her Mermaid costume (which I made, did I mention that?)

I am rather partial to Mermaids myself. They are very sophisticated. Unlike fairies, who tend to be a bit giggly. I would love to see the statue of
"The Little Mermaid" in Copenhagen. What could be more stylish than a Danish Mermaid?

I am a huge fan of
Lauren Child, which doesn't help my children's obsession with Charlie and Lola. I was very impressed to read that she collects Barbie doll Mermaids. Her illustrations of Mermaids are fantastic.

One day I grew tired of reattaching sequins, hair, shell bra tops etc onto the finger puppets. Thus igniting the creative fire to create my own mermaid. This is the second version. I learnt much from the first.

She measures 18 X 9 cm. Try turning that size inside out and then inserting the stuffing! My first version had little bends in her 8mm wide arms. That was never going to work, so now her arms are straight.

I also had a play with her hair. Version One had woollen hair. It just wasn't Mermaidy enough. I wanted something more underwater, seaweedy like. I have (not so) fond memories of my mother putting my hair in rags as a child, so Mermaid developed rag hair.

The other big thing for me was that none of her parts would be able to come off. So she is completely sewn together. No glue in sight. Version One has been road tested by Beth and Alice and I am pleased to say that no seems have yet burst nor any item of clothing been discarded.

And I just had to show you the cute little "swish" in her Mermaid tail.


I'm thinking of doing a whole series of Mermaids. Will keep you posted.

Now the song. I ran a search and found a song called "When Mermaids Cry" by Eagle Eye Cherry. But the links are getting far to literal for my liking, so who could go past "Save Tonight" . Just because I can.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

Her rick rack bustier is mermaidy perfection. What a cutie.

4:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the fabric you chose to make her with. Very cute!

5:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so pretty. I really like her hair.

1:55 pm  
Blogger Megan said...

Very clever - her swish is indeed very swishy!

5:20 pm  
Blogger jessica said...

what a great little mermaid

11:52 pm  
Blogger julie said...

I like the fabric and the hair!!!

3:05 am  
Blogger Anastasia said...

She is adorable!! I too would love to see the 'little mermaid' statue in Copenhagen - beautiful story.

9:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home