Friday, June 30, 2006

Picasso: Love & War 1935 - 1945

National Gallery of Victoria from St Kilda Road.

Well, The dinner was made, the girls were bathed, my sister came over to babysit (Thanks Katie). My nails even had two quick coats of nail polish! Hamish came home, picked me up, and off we went.

Now, I don't want to appear like I am someone who knows their art. I enjoy art, but am by no stretch of the imagination, a critic. Those who know me may be laughing now that I even entertained this thought. Truth of the matter, I happen to be married to a man who is employed by a company who is a corporate sponsor of the National Gallery of Victoria. Hence, our invitation to the opening night of "Picasso, Love & War 1935 -1945". So read on bearing this in mind.

If you live in or have the chance to visit Melbourne in the next three months or so, visit this exhibition. It is moving. Yes, really moving.

I went along thinking I would see a few Picasso's. And yes, I did. For me though, this exhibition was about a period in time and a beautiful and passionate relationship. I am not going to explain the story here. I would ramble for hours. Rather, if you are interested, this article gives a great summation.

Dora Maar was what some describe as Picasso's true love. Honestly, I had never heard of her before. She was his muse for the "Weeping Woman" and was in her own right, an accomplished photographer, in the company of Man Ray. The exhibition shows many of her works and they are beautiful.

She was a striking woman and I was mesmerised watching an old film that is on display of Picasso, Maar and friends on their summer holiday's. If you enjoy the European style and fashion of the 30's and 40's, then you, like me, would just fall in love with this little film. It is so happy and carefree. But so tragic, as you then find that many of their friends were taken by the Nazi's and were never to return.

Many of the items on display were taken from Maar's apartment in Paris after she died in 1997. She had kept her home almost as a shrine to her time with Picasso. Hamish commented that he couldn't believe that the photos of the apartment were taken in '97. They could have so easily been taken in '37.

Afterwards, we even went out for cake and coffee! Can't remember the last time we did that.

It is a big exhibition, very detailed and beautiful. Well worth the effort though if you are able to go along.

5 Comments:

Blogger lazy cow said...

Sounds great, I'm hoping to go next week (if it's on Wednesday nights - must check). Went to the Picasso Museum in Barcelona 7 years ago and was blown away by his work.

8:05 am  
Blogger Megan said...

Makes me wish I was there with you. So fascinating. In a parallel universe I am an art history professor, I am sure of it.

8:21 am  
Blogger Anastasia said...

I went to the Picasso museum in Spain and am fascinated with the man!! Sounds like a great night out with your man!

8:55 am  
Blogger julie said...

Sounds fascinating Jo! Im not a fan of Picasso but I do miss going to a good exhibition!!! Glad you had a great evening!!!!

11:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't believe that this started just after my visit - how's that for planning..I love your opening shot of "Picasso" - just looking at that makes me want to go have a look...did Beth do your hair for you?

9:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home