Thursday, July 06, 2006

My Pretty Bracelets


Beth and I made these bracelets together on the sewing machine. I have Beth sitting on my knee at the moment. She has had a day off school with a mystery illness. Mystery being where it went at 9.30 this morning. She has titled this post and asked me to type the first line as she dictated.

Yes, we did kind of make these together over the school holidays. The idea came from a
Molly Chicken tutorial. Instead of using beads, we just used buttons. One was for Beth, another for her pen pal and the other two for the twin daughter's of my Mag Swap partner Amy, in California. I personalised them a bit with the initial buttons which I found in, shock, horror, Spotlight. I must say that you can take something from Spotlight and if you use it in the right context (ie. mix it in with a lot of other good stuff) then they aren't so bad? Right Al and Nic?

I'm going to make another batch of them for party favours for Beth's party. Which means I will have to make another 10. Who doesn't love sewing on buttons? Anyone? Anyone? Do I see any hands?

Speaking of party favours, am stealing the
Kiddley idea of making our own CD's as well. So the girls will get a bracelet and a CD and the boys will have a CD and a ..... ? Does anyone know of any little "thing" that you can craft for 6 year old boys? I'm out of my league with boys craft things.
Only pink, frills and pretty in our house. Except for my husband, of course.


Oh, and for those who were interested in the "They Might Be Giants" kids CD called "No!" that Amy sent us in the Mag Swap, check out their site - www.giantkid.net
Their new ABC CD looks fantastic.

12 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

They are so lovely for little girls...hhmmm..now boys...what about some kind of football or something else boyish in the form of a 'badge' that they can put on their shirt..

4:00 pm  
Blogger Anastasia said...

they are great!! the buttons looks cute!
i love spotlight - always come out with bags of goodstuff!!

4:51 pm  
Blogger lazy cow said...

Gorgeous! I'd love to do something like that for my daughter's sixth birthday. Unfortunately I don't have the talent - or sewing machine. I'm sure your daughter will have a lovely birthday party.

4:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boys crafty things are tricky, I KNOW. What I was thinking of doing for my eldest (but didn't get around it 'cause I fell ill just before the party) was some simple smallish fabric bags with two or three glass marbles in it. Give me a boy who doesn't like glass marbles!

Anyway, just a thought. Good luck.

6:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Spotlight is evil, I worked there for years I should know. The Brunswick store is such a debacle when a friend of mine whinged about not being able to walk down certain isles they told her they were renovating. Oh no youre not you CRAZY BARGAIN FABRIC STORE.

Anyway, I have Spotlight issues. Dont like sewing buttons? glue them. And stuff for boys? mmm no idea, dont like them. Not little ones anyway.

8:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's such a sweet idea for party favours! I'm with you - Spotlight can be ok if you're prepared to dig deep behind the scary stuff. (Very deep!)

11:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely a little drawstring bag...6 yr olds are famous for collecting rocks, bits of string, rubberbands, etc. A little keepsake bag would be perfect, doesn't have to be big because they usually find stuff that fits in their pockets (and now you'll save the mothers from finding said objects in the wash...)

1:39 am  
Blogger thebutterflycollector said...

I've found another Melbourne girl, yea! These are beautiful!!! I have a love hate relationship with spotlight too! My son screams everytime we go there, can't fit down aisles with the pram, always want to buy too much stuff!, can't carry giant rolls of fabric to the counter when you have a giant pram and every thing is too tempting!, especially when you have a whole cupboard of stuff to use at home still!I must get to the giants site now ( we sing dr worm to our son in the car)! nice to meet you, be back soon!

8:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just love those bracelets but I can't believe you're going to make another 10! plus boys stuff ( I'm with everyone else - go the drawstring bag for "stuff"). I'm with you on the spotlight thing - I hate going there but that's about the only place left to get all of those vital little bits and pieces ( not to mention all the crafty things for the girls to play with). I have a similar love/hate relationship whith Ikea - if I need something storage wise they always have the exact thing I need as well as a ton of stuff that I didn't need until I saw it there....
oh and I have a VIP card too - if I have to go there, then I want a chance at one of those giant cheques for 20 billion dollars that they give away!

10:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IT WAS YOU!! I knew I had seen these bracelets somewhere in blogville but buggered if I could find the site to reference! You inspired me with mine! many thanks! Check out the boy one I just made, it might do for a party favour? if you used ribbon or tape it would be pretty quick to make?

1:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your bracelets are lovely !
: )

7:50 am  
Blogger jessica said...

what fun bracelets, how do they get put on?

9:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home