Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My favourite artist and author ...

OK, so I'm a little biased. Beth started school this year and has reached the stage where she is starting to write little stories. Her words are written just as they sound, with a few other assorted letters thrown in for good measure and parental confusion. She will come and show me her drawing and story and ask me to read what she has written. "Um, well, maybe you should read it to me because it is your story?" In other words, I may be able to guess a few of the words, but some of them, I have no idea. Even now, looing back at the pictures, I am struggling to read them, so I will fill in the gaps where I can.

The one above is my favourite drawing. It is called "Ginger Cat" and she has written "My sister loves cats. She is 2 and she is Alice. Cats are cul (cool). I love that cats face.

This one is of a butterfly, spelt "brtsis". I am just grateful I could pick that one up from the drawing. Apart from "I love you" at the top and "I love brtsis", I am struggling to remember the rest. This one is an echidna, spelt "echr". There is something about prickles "pecle". "No lit for me pes", is no light for me please. They have been doing Australian animals at school, so this is in reference to the echidna being nocturnal. "But I love they", means she loves them, in spite of their prickles. A very forgiving child really.
Lastly, we have a Turtle. And "they go in wat". Wat being water.

Anyone who has a child start school would understand my fascination with Beth's progression with her reading and writing skills. It's just amazing how quickly they acquire these skills. I am expecting her first novel, "brtsis are cul" next term, so will post some extracts then. Her agent is currently in negotiations with the publishers.

Thank you for letting me indulge in some pride for my first born.

15 Comments:

Blogger kirsten said...

What gorgeous drawings (and stories!). She has superb control and impressive concentration. When my son was a similar age, he had a book in which he wrote stories. He hated not knowing the "real" spelling of words, so he wrote on the cover (I think as a statement to me!), "Help the Writer write his stories."

12:49 pm  
Blogger lazy cow said...

Indulge away. I like to see other childrens' artwork and progress. I want to install a scanner and do the same. That cat is too precious. How do you display and store all the work she produces? We're drowning in paper here.

1:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cool...I'd love to make a stuffie based on these! And I think she's saying "you cool butterfly" and "red butterfly" (I did some substitute teaching of all grades, but a LOT of kindergarten!) She is quite an artist, and very imaginative.

1:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're great :) Something to treasure, and encourage, and be proud of.

2:15 pm  
Blogger Sue said...

Oh how adorable. I love the ginger cat, maybe you should get it printed up on a t-shirt for her to keep. I am sure there is a way to do that. Isabelle is just learning to write her name properly now instead of doing the 'S' backwards. Arent little girls gorgeous.

2:43 pm  
Blogger Anastasia said...

thats so wonderful - I love the drawings and it amazes me how much they learn so fast - you should keep a little memory box for her - will be a treat to have when she is older. as a youngster I had a nasty habit of writing in books and things and it still gives me a thrill to see my handwriting 25+ years ago!

3:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the echidna's nose the best. Make sure you keep the drawings they do. I wish I now had some from my childhood.

4:48 pm  
Blogger julie said...

Wonderful drawings - i can understand your pride!!
I just love Shellys drawings too - they are so inspiring!!

6:00 pm  
Blogger marianne said...

If you can't do the proud- as- punch- mama on your own blog, where can you? And you should be proud - they are so full of brightness and joy! I love kid's drawings - we should all do more of them! Put me on the list for a copy of the first book - I'll swap for some tickets to rose's first paper jewelery exhibition ( she makes a mean paper tiara)

11:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my son who's five is doing the same and they're sooo cute. He likes writing about power rangers and bombs and rockets. Quite gruesome stories really, but oh so lovely. I'm keeping them all too. Sometimes you just want to squeeeeeeze them you love them so much!

12:18 am  
Blogger Ali said...

They are totally charming, and her handwriting is great. So glad you blogged them for posterity.

4:34 am  
Blogger LBA said...

adorable ;)

I take pics of my son's fridge art to boast about. I've got one waiting to upload to my blog now .. but 'someone' fried my camera cable by sticking it into Play-doh.

1:49 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Too cute! This is one of the reasons I loved teaching younger children, I loved seeing them learning and writing and drawing the most adorable things.

10:02 pm  
Blogger devinemom said...

oh i just love children at that age. they are learning so much and so eager to use the skills they have. i used to work in Special-Ed (1-3rd graders) and they came up with some amazing stories, i think i still have a few around somewhere.

10:40 am  
Blogger thebutterflycollector said...

wow, she might be a bit artsy craftsy like her mum maybe? Great drawings and lovely writing! A smile to be had each time you look at these! I Am getting cute squiggles at the moment!

8:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home