Wednesday, August 02, 2006

What's a girl to do?

First of all, before I forget, a big thank you to everyone for your kind comments on my last post. I would like to think that I could reply personally, but sometimes, something's gotta give, and I'm a little ashamed to say the first of those things is personal thank-you's. But thank-you all. Appreciated.

I posted this picture and some in more detail in Flick-r a while back, but didn't want to post about them until they had reached their intended destination.

I made these two tops for
Julie's little girls as part of our recent swap. They have now arrived in Israel, so in accordance with blogging protocol, I can now post a picture and blab.

I was really pleased with how these turned out. I wanted to make something that was sweet and girly, but not sickly and pink. And made with fabric that reminded me of my childhood or happy things. With lots of ric-rac and ribbon and gorgeous trims. I have made so many skirts this year, and thought that I could make these based on the idea of the bottom being like a tier of a gathered skirt. Then I pulled out all the girls tops and dresses right from when they were babies and dissected how they were all made. Took the best (and easiest) parts and voila! They do up at the back with two buttons and the skirt is open. I like the idea of wearing them with cut-off jeans or long shorts.

If you are wondering why I take all my pictures of clothes hanging on the washing line, there are several reasons. Firstly, it's a natural light thing. And it was just too cold to have my girls wear them outside. I may be harsh, but I'm not cruel. Secondly, the washing line stays relatively still and does what I want it to do.

I showed my sewing to a few of my friends who all gave me great feedback. Except for my very dear friend (no, really, she is) - she of the "dishcloth purse" fame. She said that she loved them, but could I make one for her daughter in pink. I'm not anti-pink, I guess I just really need to find the right "pink".


So, now, to my next dilemma. One which it seems that a few of us are going through. To sell, or not to sell? How much? Etsy? A market? A web site? Good old fashioned word of mouth. Do you want to buy one? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

A few more of the goodies sent over to Julie.

And speaking of "to sell", met up yesterday with my first blogging, in-the-flesh friend. Alice and I met Justine and Molly and it was like we'd known each other for year's! Justine is every bit as lovely and funny as you would imagine from reading her blog. We met up to discuss some ideas about our respective crafting "stuff", but our girls had other idea's. Both were tired. Lovely, but tired. We had about three minutes of peace when Alice decided to lie down on a big kind of couchy, chair thing, with pristine cream cushions on it, that was displayed outside a Villa and Hut store. Molly played peek-a-boo with her and Justine and I pretended they weren't ours. Until the man from the shop tracked us down and asked me to remove my child from his $999 chair so as he had half a chance of selling it. I suggested to him that perhaps at that price, he could sell Alice with the chair as well. He didn't get it. He mustn't have kids.

The funniest part of this was that as we were sitting, sipping our hot chocolates, a friend (more a friend of a friend I guess) of mine came over. As I went to say "Hi", she went straight over me and reached over to Justine! Turns out that she takes her little girl to the same place for music as Justine takes Molly. How freaky is that! To have this blogging connection and then discover we know mutual people in the "real world". Blew me away really.

So a big hello to Justine and Molly and Alice promises she will not be bossy next time. Or else her mother really will sell her with the chair.

14 Comments:

Blogger Anastasia said...

What sweet tops- you are very clever MummyJo!!!
you should definetely sell your creations - maybe try Etsy first or go for both etsy and your own online store - seems to work for some!!
all the best!!

3:19 pm  
Blogger julie said...

Jo, I am still trying to upload photos of your beautiful work!!!!!! So, so lovely. And perfect fits - amazing - just from one little measurement!!! Thank you so much!! I love my pressies too!! SO talented and about your questions - why not give them all a go?!! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!! Go for it!!

4:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I hope you do something like etsy, so I can shop there too! And I really enjoy your clothes-line photos, they are so real, even if it is cold out, you wouldn't know it! And I think it is part of what makes your blog unique.

3:14 am  
Blogger Suse said...

I'm debating the online shop thing too. If you go with etsy, let me know how it goes ok?

Swaps are good. I'd be happy to swap ... one of my handknitted somethings for one of those tissue holders maybe? Hmmm?

Glad you had fun meeting another blogger. I did too this week!

3:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justine and Molly are the sweetest aren't they? The first time i met Justine i felt like we were long lost friends, we just settled straight into a relaxed chatty friendship, i'm very glad to have become her friend. Maybe we need to meet up too?!

12:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, I am still alive, just VERY limited access to a computer UHHHH!! So cool to meet you, let's do it again soon :)

12:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you thought about selling them at the markets? Williamstown have good markets in Melbourne. I have thought about selling my work at markets... but I don't know if I could be dedicated that early every weekend! Maybe you could find some one who you could 'share a store with' You could do every second or third weekend. I'd be in that if I was closer. Go the Etsy shop too.

1:57 pm  
Blogger jessica said...

pretty little tops, so girly, so lovely.

2:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you considered Party Plan to sell your stuff? I have 5 parties offered to me and no stock to sell! arrrrgg :-)

3:33 pm  
Blogger Alison said...

Those little tops are gorgeous. I love your fabric choices. With regards to selling why not add a shop page to your blog for starters and see how it goes? It would be free which is always a bonus.

1:40 am  
Blogger weirdbunny said...

I love the clothes you have made, I so wish I'd learnt to sew when my daughter was younger. She wouldn't weear anything pretty and frilly now!

10:10 am  
Blogger marianne said...

Definitely the blog shop and/or Etsy. I would buy one of these - the fabric combinations are just gorgeous! You are lucky to have met a real live craft blogger..I'm looking forward to doing that sometime( although I think I'll be a little nervous almost like going on a first date!)I think I'll have to come down to Melbourne again and meet you all en masse....what fun!

11:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would buy your dresses... if I had girls. Or boys who are into cross dressing...

5:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd buy one of those tops or a tissue holder made by you- they're sooo pretty. I think a blog shop is good and agree with Julie- you don't have anything to lose so go for it!
p.s thanks for such a sweet comment on my blog over the weekend. I am off to check out Julie's blog now!

6:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home