Monday, August 21, 2006

The weekend and other assorted goodies ...

Hmmm, where to begin, where to begin? We had a lovely weekend staying in the centre of Melbourne at The Westin. If you are ever looking to spoil yourself in Melbourne, The Westin is the place! Almost felt a little European, with our beautiful hotel room with little balcony that opened up to a view of this. This is the spire of St. Paul's Cathedral. It has recently had a lot of restoration work carried out on it and only last week did all the scaffolding come down. I believe they timed it especially for our visit. Well, maybe not. But I'm glad we got to look at this and not scaffolding. Now this photo below was also taken from our balcony window. It is of the Nicholas Building on Swanston Street. The significance being that it is home to BUTTONMANIA. See how close we were? How could we not visit?
Hamish came along with me, which quite frankly, stunned me. And even more astonishingly, he actually enjoyed it. He helped me to go through the boxes and find these buttons. I got a couple of each. They are going to go on another lot of the
little girl's bracelets that I am going to make. Kate, the lady who owns "Buttonmania" was lovely and chatty and was telling us about the hundred year old button presses that she uses to make covered buttons. She told Hamish to go out and have a look at them, which he did. Boys and machines. Even button machines! Then it was off to Clegg's for some trim shopping. His eyes did start to glaze over a bit by then. So we just strolled the arcades and lanes, bought presents for the girl's at Haigh's chocolates, Suga and Jasper Junior, which is a fantastic toy shop. We had dinner at Feddish, which was good. Not all time memorable great, but still good. Strolled back to the hotel for my double Bailey's. Next day, more food, more shopping. Worth ten year's of marriage, I tell you.

Speaking of the good life, I have received some lovely mail in the past few days. Last week, I did a swap with Suse and received one of her lovely hand knitted face washer's. It is so soft and gorgeous. Thanks Suse.
And then, just because I told
Lesley a really bad joke, I won a set of her beautiful note cards. And I can't wait to use them. Thank you Lesley. As if by some kind of madness, she must have known the current obsession shared by girls old and young in our house for glitter gel pens, and she popped one in with the cards. It is a cherry red colour, which we don't have. I'm off to hide it away before small six year old girl comes home from school and find's it and claims it for her own. Bye.

8 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

Jo, your weekend sounds and looks fantastic - wonderful photos!!Lovely buttons and love that card!!

5:13 pm  
Blogger Suse said...

I always get a thrill seeing my things on someone else's blog. It takes on a whole new life!

I'm loving the tissue holder too. Photos on my blog soon!

(Lovely photos of St Paul's)

8:18 pm  
Blogger thebutterflycollector said...

looks like you had a fabulous time! I'd love a day by myself in town ( my husband couldn't last through what I would want do!), maybe I should start planning one!
Your room had a great view, ST pauls looks great now! We do a hotel weekend every year in march and go see lots of comedy festival shows!Your buttons are fabulous too!

9:30 pm  
Blogger thebutterflycollector said...

hi I'm back to say thanks for the link to Lesley! and I've answered the where were you ten years ago question at my blog, come and see a really bad photo of a photo of me sitting on a monopoly top hat!!!

11:54 am  
Blogger kirsten said...

Thank you, thank you for the link xxx!!

3:28 pm  
Blogger jessica said...

great little buttons.
what lovely view you had from your hotel.

9:46 pm  
Blogger Sue said...

You sound as though you had a wonderful weekend, ah the days of no kids and just the two of you. I cant remember the last time we did that. I will have to visit Buttonmania, it sounds too good to be true.

9:31 pm  
Blogger Jorth said...

Isn't it a wonderful city we live in?

Happy anniversary!

12:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home