Friday, September 08, 2006

What am I doing?

Two weeks since my last post! Hmm, something must be going on here. And it is. I'm just not quite sure what. Are you following? Good. Keep up.

I was going to write a more detailed post today, but in this modern day of having no shame, I feel obliged to tell you that Beth came home from school with HEAD LICE! Oh my god! I am the eldest of four girls and my mother's epitaph will read "None of my girl's ever had head lice". So it took me a while (and a consultation with "dishcloth purse" friend) to confirm my suspicion. Last night and today have consisted of steady streams of de-lousing treatments, washing, more treatments (we have all been "done", but only Beth seems to have any, and only eggs. My mother felt better when I told her this), hanging washing on the line, taking washing off the line, changing beds, re-making beds. You get my drift.

So that's today's excuse.

I am re-thinking my direction and my options. I have decided to call the "business" "Violet & Rose". I have booked myself in to do two local school Christmas craft markets. One on the 15th of November, the other on the 1st of December. I even have a notebook where I am keeping track of my costs, writing down all the things I need to make (this makes me a little giddy) and other assorted useful pieces of information. I am feeling very "real" about this little commitment.

And you know, that was one of the reasons I started this blog. To inspire me to get my act together, follow my dream, reach for the stars. OK, it's getting a bit melodramatic. But the blog has been a way for me to test the water, show people what I do, get some feedback. And it's been the best thing I ever did. But the reason I started the blog may be the reason I end it. In this form, anyway.

I am starting to feel a little, well, scared. People I know in the real world are finding my blog, and they have been very complimentary, but they have been "good" people I know. What happens when the "bad" people I know find it? And the chances of my two world's colliding once I start promoting "Violet & Rose" are high. Especially when I will be promoting it within my local community. Do I want my children's teacher's to read my blog? Do I want my children's friends mothers to read my blog? Is this fair to the girls? Will people take this information about my family and run with it and use it in a way that I never meant for it to be used? Hmmm...

Also, having a fortnight's break has shown me how much more time I would have and how many other things I could be doing besides sitting on my backside on the computer. I really haven't been looking after myself when it comes to exercise and good diet. My life has consisted of sitting in front of the computer with a chocolate bar, cake, piece of slice, all intended for the girl's to eat, of course. But somehow, sitting at the computer goes hand in hand with sweet eating. Lately though, I have been exercising a little more and watching what goes in my mouth a tad more. As most mother's would know, thinking to take care of yourself is not high on our list of priorities, but I have decided that I need to be a little kinder to myself. That, and none of my summer clothes fit me anymore. Nothing like a skirt that no longer does up to spur you on.

So, I hear you say, what is she going to do? Well, I'm keeping my flick-r account, I'm still visiting all my wonderful blogging friends, but I think I am going to wind Mummy-Jo up, and move on to "Violet & Rose", which will have a blog/web site/online shop, but will have less about me and my girl's and have less frequent posts. I feel a bit sad saying that, because another reason I started blogging was as a way to document our lives, but perhaps the internet is not the best place to be doing that. There are other way's for me to keep a diary. Hey, perhaps I could keep a diary the old fashioned way!

Anyway, this is not the end, it's only the beginning. And I will post again and let you know about what the absolute final decision is and where you will be able to find me.

But can I just say "thank you"? To you. Sitting at your computer in the next suburb or on the other side of the world. If the world was made up of lovely mummy crafting bloggers, what a better, lovely and far more stylish and pretty world we would have.

Take care my friends, will "talk" again soon.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW...i dont know what to say..im sad. But if this is what you want then I wish you the best of luck with your business and life. You will do really well - you are so talented!
There is a reason for everything..and in just starting the blog - already so much has changed for you. Take care and have a great weekend.

4:58 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

The questions about the internet, family and who reads what are always tricky and I ponder this a bit without finding answers. Can't wait to see what you come up with as 'Violet and Rose' - good luck!

6:45 pm  
Blogger 62cherry said...

i am sad
i understand
i'm glad we met in real life
your rock!

7:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad too but i wish you great success with your business adventures.

7:51 pm  
Blogger kirsten said...

What about having a password accessed blog? DON'T lEAVE US!


Just kidding - go with your heart. The blog/shop/website thingy for Violet and Rose sounds great!

Oh and if you have a Return of The Little Visitors, buy a Robi-comb. My kids all had lice repeatedly over the years and the nasty thing about the little creepies (lice not kids) is that they are becoming resistant to all our anti-pestilence lotions. Robi-combs electrocute them. Works BRILLIANTLY.

7:52 pm  
Blogger lazy cow said...

I understand totally. I've been thinking the along the same lines these past two weeks, but as I don't have a business to promote (where you're real life and blog life would definitely collide) I'm just going to post less about the kids.
Good luck with your new venture! I'll certainly be following your progress.

8:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey. wow, what a decision. Good for you thinking it through. I have my days where I think the exact same thing esp having a business to run. Where do you draw that line between professional life and personal life?

I have told very few of my friends and only my husband in brief about my own blog and I don't advertise it on my business site... I wonder why I have one really? The thought of customers entering my personal world is a little scary, and I will address that if anything comes of it.

I think that you are right in saying that starting your blog has been a good thing, because it has driven you to this next step in your life...and it sounds like a very exciting step to take.

Your blog was one of the first I discovered and liked, so I will be sad to see it finish even though I wasn't there at the beginning. I truly wish you all the best with the next chapter in yoru story.

re head lice. I have heard that washing your head in orange juice is meant to be better than any solution you can buy. Good luck...it's like getting a common cold, any one can get it.

9:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had lice! I was 10, there I said it. Even the nicest people get it. I agree with kristy on the password only option! consider it please? I am about to start a business blog and yes, understand the horror with cross over, I have a couple of nasty readers who are friends with my partner and use it against me. I am over it now but I fully understand your situation. You do what works for you, that is all any of us can wish for you.

10:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm fearful of the same as I take on my first craft fair - do I really want the whole village knowing my business? I'm not advertising the existance of my blog there, but google of 'Domesticali' brings it up pretty quick!

I just keep telling myself that actually most folks are fairly self-centred and apathetic, so even if they read it once, they are unlikely to stalk me (I hope). I'm still getting too much out of blogging to be prepared to give it up.

Perhaps if I was a bit further down the line I would be drawing the same conclusions as you are. Good luck with Violet and Rose (glad you chose that, even if I do have a soft spot for pink milk).

4:00 am  
Blogger LBA said...

A brand-new private, censored blog should solve your problems. I used to keep a website before I had a blog - full of real names, actual addresses, history, the lot. I tightened up after having my son, but I still can't resist the urge to blab, blab, blab.

I do enjoy it, and I used to keep a real, handwritten diary. I must say blogs are more funner ;)

Good luck with the business though, and whatever you choose, blog-wise. I'll continue to check in for updates, and will be sure to check out the new business.

Don't sweat the small stuff :)

12:23 pm  
Blogger thebutterflycollector said...

wow JO,I am sad, I feel like I was just getting to know you! But you know what I totally understand, I've been pondering the same questions in the last week and don't have answers yet, since my business has just arrived this week on the net too!( i'd love you to come and visit ... www.madamebutterflygallery.com.au ) I wish you all the luck in the world with Violet and Rose and will follow you to that blog too!I can't wait to see the crafty wonderfulness you come up with!!! Good luck with lice nightmare too, I hope it's all over quickly!!!

8:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comiserations on the headlice! We battle with them too - I hate using chemical treatments on my girls, so we use cheap white hair conditioner and a nit comb - works just as well since you have to come after treatment to get rid of the eggs anyway. Goodluck!

As from another mum who has taken a leap into the business world - best of luck and have fun!

8:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, where to start?
How about, I was so happy to log onto bloglines and see you'd posted! And then, sad because you'll be leaving in a way...and head lice! The fear of all children and parents...makes my battle with bipolar seem less frightening (seriously...I'd rather be bipolar than have headlice, go figure).
And then, thinking about who might be reading my blog.
So much to process. But then I realized there is still email, and packages, and snail mail. And you'll always be a friend of mine.
Good luck on the craft fairs, and we support you no matter what you decide!
Hugs!

2:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck and we'll miss you.

We must follow our dreams.

6:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll miss your blog too, you're a great writer! DO what you feel is right, and I'm looking forward to checking out Violet and Rose (lovely name, by the way) Good luck!

1:24 pm  
Blogger Sue said...

I was so happy to see that you had come back but now your leaving. I love reading about your girls and you. I hope the new blog will work out okay and I love the name too by the way. My daughter had head lice earlier this year, and hair conditioner actually stuns the head lice so you can just comb them out. I also made up a spray of lemon juice, lavender and water, and just spray it everyday to keep them from coming back for about 6 weeks. My daughter did not get any back thank goodness. They only like clean hair so the spray deters them. Good luck!

10:06 am  
Blogger sooz said...

I'm a late arriver at your place and I love your blog. I'll be sad to see it go, though fully understand and respect your decision.

We're dealing with lice too. I don't seem to be as freaked out about it as some, it is just like any other bug that goes around. I got my advice from a friend who is an expert and says she found all the chemical solutions to be really ineffective. She recommended an essential oil mix of Lavender, Rosemary, Geranium, Eucalyptus and Lemon in a carrier oil, rubbed in all over the hair and left overnight. Wash it out the next day, comb and pick out any bits you can find, repeat in 2 days time. Seems to be working and fills the house with a LOVELY smell. You can also add a few drops of some or all the oils to the rinse water after you wash to act as a deterent to reinfection. Good luck!

10:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely understand your decision, Jo, but will really miss your posts. Please do let us know about your adventures with Violet & Rose. :)

10:41 am  
Blogger joyflea said...

Hi Jo,
I've only found your blog recently. I don't comment on many blogs, I don't usually have much to say. Don't feel bad about the head lice thing. My girls have been battling it for almost 12 months now. I just continue the Robi-comb and conditioner with tea tree to keep them comfortable. It's rife in schools and kinders at the moment, because the schools can't treat the kids, and some parents don't do it despite countless notices sent home. I have been sent home from my hairdressers twice, despite no headlice myself(I reckon it was dandruff!!) It's a neverending battle at the moment. Good luck in your business endeavours. I too am starting back on the craft market circuit after taking a break for a few years (Yarra Glen, where are you doing?) I am excited and I have also set myself up for a big disappointment(no sales?!)Either way, it will be fun connecting with real people again. I hope to see works by 'Violet & Rose' in a future issue of Real Living or similar.
Cheers,
Joy :)

7:58 pm  
Blogger Suse said...

Sorry to hear you're leaving, but totally understand. I don't post pictures or real names of my family for similar reasons, and the stuff I sell doesn't go under the Pea Soup name as I don't want purchasers to google and find my blog.

Good luck with the craft fairs. I'm sure I'll see you at one of them!

Oh, and every time I blow my nose I think of you.

10:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll miss you! But it is totally and completely understandable. Good luck with Violet & Rose. I will be keeping an eye out :) xx

8:21 am  
Blogger jessica said...

Violet & Rose has a pretty sound. Good luck with it.

5:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home