Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Cherry Dress ...


"The Cherry Dress" is a book that has become a favourite in our house for so many reasons.

It was one of those books that Beth would borrow and re-borrow again from the library. She always borrowed it as an audio book and we would bring it home and sit down and listen to it.

I love the book because it tells the story of a grandmother who sews her granddaughter a dress made out of fabric with cherry's on it. The dress is then posted to the granddaughter who loves it, grows out of it and passes it on to her sister. The dress is passed on again to friends, cousins, even a teddy until eventually it comes full circle. It is a beautiful story about sharing and about how when we are finished with things, someone else can have as much enjoyment out of them as we have.

This little story appeals to me on so many levels. Firstly, what self respecting girl wouldn't want to receive a parcel in the mail with a cherry dress in it? Could there be anything sweeter? Secondly, the grandmother sewed the dress with love. A nice lesson for children that all clothes don't come from the shops. And thirdly, I have made mention before about the fact that I love cherries. They are bright and red and summer and all things happy. Some may say they are just a fruit. Not me. Cherries make me feel good. So much so that when it came time to decorating Beth's bedroom, it became the cherry room. She even calls it the cherry room. Tragic, I know, but it could have been pineapples or bananas I guess.

The Cherry Dress in the Cherry Room.

We have our own cherry dress. I admit, I did buy it and pay far more for it than I could really justify, but it was a handmade bought one. And it was a cherry dress (with a few other happy assorted fruits thrown in for good measure) and I had to have it. When Beth saw it, she recognised straight away that it was a "cherry dress". It was a little too big for Alice last summer, but next summer it will be perfect. Hopefully after she wears it, we will be able to pass it on to another little girl. This summer just gone, I made Beth a cherry skirt, which is just the big girls version of the dress. I think one day, if the girls ever marry, I will have to sew a little cherry applique on the inside of their dress somewhere.

If you are looking for the book, it's not a new one, it was published in 1999. The author is Elizabeth Honey. It's just such a lovely story that we read time and time again. I think I will have to start the campaign for all little girls to have cherry dresses. Then again, maybe what I really want is to start the campaign for all big girls to have cherry dresses too. With red shoes, of course.

4 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

Nice story!! I like the idea.

5:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They read this story on Playschool a few weeks ago, it's a good one.

8:08 pm  
Blogger 62cherry said...

Thanks for the cute post. I LOVE cherries as well, so much so I have some tattoed on my back and my little side project of making bags is called 62cherry!!
I love the dress and I will be trying to get my hands on a copy of the book : )
Thanks again

6:39 am  
Blogger Anastasia said...

What a lovely post!! sweet cherry dress and border.
I love cherries too - Im a huge fan of Mary Engelbreit and her cherry illustrations are too cute!

9:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home