Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mummy's, Mommy's and Mama's. Whatever we are called, we all share the same love of our children the world over.

A special mention to all the almost Mum's too. I know that someone who I love dearly will be reading this and by now will be completely over Mother's Day. Some of us take becoming a mother for granted. For other's it is not so easy. I cannot believe this persons strength of character and soul for all that she has been through in trying to conceive. I know that one day she will become a mother and not only that, she will be the best too.

Now, that photo. Can I say that I love those little hands? Yes, it is the girls in their skirts. I finished them a good week or so ago, but just haven't been able to co-ordinate both skirts being clean at the same time. We went out this morning for morning tea with my Mum, Dad and one of my sister's and they wore them, so when we came home, out came the camera, before on went the mud. Note to self - Next year, stay home for Mother's Day. A booking at a cafe means nothing. And the bad service that follows means even less to the owners. And having worked in hotels, I am the queen of hating bad service.

Back to the skirts. They are incredibly easy to make. Even for me. They are just straight strips cut to measurements, no pattern involved. Can you believe a girlfriend and I went to a class to learn how to make them?

Along with the two of us were two other ladies. On the list of class requirements was a ruffler foot. When we went to buy one, turns out they cost almost $90. Now for these ladies, that was $90 well spent. Each week they would bring to class something that they had recently ruffled within an inch of it's life. If it moved, it was ruffled. Cushions were a specialty, finished off with a lethal dose of machine embroidery. For us though, $90, No way! Then it was suggested that a gathering foot could do an equally good job as the ruffler, and perhaps the generic $4 foot may fit our machines? Bingo and thank you very much. I now love my gathering foot almost as much as those ladies loved ruffling.

But not as much as I love my girls. Happy Mother's Day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day for yesterday Jo! The skirts (and the girls) are lovely.
xx

10:00 am  
Blogger Anastasia said...

Happy Mothers Day Jo!
The girls skirts look FAB!I wish I had more patience to sew...

3:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home