Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Yes Vs No ...

After the euphoric Lynley Dodd high, life is back to normal. It's just that our normal is becoming more and more abnormal. Largely due to the fact that I cannot say No. Or I can, it's just that there are too many things that I like to say Yes to.

Alice is one of those things. She is a fridge raider and for the sake of peace or to give me more time doing what it is that I am doing at the time, I quite often say yes, that she can have whatever it is that she is asking for. Nine times out of ten, it is a cheese slice. Harmless really. Or yoghurt. It's just that now I am starting to question the volume of what she is snacking on, because meal time in our house is a nightmare. She won't sit at the table, what she liked yesterday, she doesn't like today, she wants the yellow bowl, but that really means the orange bowl. Beth says she wants Weet-Bix, so Alice now wants Weet-Bix too, even though she has just asked for and has been given a bowl of cornflakes. Blah, blah, blah.... Yes, I know, she is two, but get me out of here! As much and all as I love her to bits. Today this has been coupled with crying (her's not mine, but it has come close) which usually tells me that she may be coming down with something . Fingers crossed that she's not.

The other thing I can't say No to is anything to do with Beth's school. I am on the committee of the Parent's Association, which so far, has been quite good. Unlike the kindergarten committee last year. Suffice to say I learnt my lesson there and will NOT be doing that again. The annual Trivia Night is on this Saturday night so I have been doing a bit with that and it will only get busier between now and Saturday. I volunteered to go on the junior school excursion to Healsville Sanctuary on Monday, I have just completed the school's classroom helper course, so will be helping out in the classroom once a fortnight. Let's see, what else is there? Oh, yes, the Mother's Day stall next Friday which I also said I would help out with. I am looking forward to that one. All those children choosing presents for their Mum's with their two dollars. The decisions will be deliberated at length and they will be so proud of the little gifts they have chosen for their beautiful Mum's, along with their handmade cards and wrapping. That is what Mother's Day is all about. Not about the 23 junk mail catalogues that I got out of the letterbox this morning.

Why do I say Yes to all of these school things? I have been thinking about this and I think it's because I just want to be involved as much as I can in Beth's school years. And I really do enjoy it. Even though it is go, go, go. The alternative to this though is pretty boring. Who wants to stay at home all day? Who wants a perfectly clean house? Well me, but I'd rather be out doing other things.

I couldn't say No to Beth wearing a dress or a skirt to the school's free dress day tomorrow. I reasoned that jeans were far more practical and that most of the other girls would be in jeans, but no. So then I decided that this was the motivation I needed to make another skirt. Which I am pleased to say I have just finished. Will post more about this later.

The other thing I finished earlier this week was Beth's scarf. Quite happy with this one too. Looks very sweet on her too. Recognise the buttons?



And while I type, Alice is into the fridge again, but this time it's the Easter eggs .....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like meal times at our house. Yesterday's colour code isn't right for today, the fork has to coordinate with the bowl, the drinks have to be in specific cups with specific coloured lids, it's more fun to bounce around the living room than eat at the table leading to drive by eating, and Max has started holding food in his mouth indefinatwly and pulling funny faces when he knows we mean business.....

11:07 am  
Blogger Anastasia said...

That scarf is adorable Jo!
I can totaly relate to your post - its so hard isnt it? I saw a Tshirt slogan the other day 'My kids are great because Im a MEAN mummy' heehee made me laugh!

3:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home