Saturday, June 03, 2006

What day is it?

Has it been a whole week since I posted? I've just been so busy, and I have so much to tell, forgive my ramblings, it could be a long one.

A completed task! I have finished my square for Nichola's Wall of Yarn Gallery. Please, may I never see another knitted flower again? Well, not for a long time anyway. In the spirit of "use what you have month", ( What? It's over? Never mind what day it is, what month is it?) I have used one of the flowers and the leaves from my Whip-up entry. There was method in my madness. The square is basic moss stitch (k1, p1) which is a favourite of mine. Easy, and I love the texture.

The wool, now there is a story. Last year I discovered
Nundle Woolen Mills. I decided I was going to knit Beth and Alice jumpers each. I fell in love with the rhubarb and celery 8 ply pure wool. So much so that I wanted to eat it. I realise now that I would have had a severe fluff ball problem and would have likely choked, but look at those colours! I decided on the rhubarb for Beth and knitted her what I thought was a lovely jumper. Yes, it did have a flower on it and little flower buttons. She thought it was gorgeous, but then she put it on. "Mummy it's itchy, take it off me, it's itchy!!!" Repeat this about 27 times, with growing hysteria each time and picture me trying to make her stand still so as I could just admire my handwork. It ended in tears all round. Needless to say, there was no way I was going to shed more blood, sweat and tears on a jumper for Alice. So everything I have done this year is in celery. I am very good at "use what you have". I saw the other day that someone has started a "finish what you have" month. I would seriously fail that one.


I wanted my little square to look a bit like something from my Nannie or Grandma's house. I'm not sure I have captured that exactly, but I didn't want it to get too fussy either. So I've wrapped it and I will put it in the post on Monday. I did have visions of hand delivering it to Nichola, but I thought it would be better to go in and see the gallery when it is up.

I got a little carried away with the wrapping and wanted to include a little something for Nichola for all her work with putting the gallery together. So I made her a little pin from a Molly Chicken tutorial .

Don't fret Nichola, you can take your name card off. And it seems I have progressed from knitted flowers to fabric flowers. Well, at least it's some sort of progress.

I have so many other things I want to talk about, but I think I will leave them so as I have more things to talk about in the coming week and I don't leave it another week to post.

Just to tease, there are swaps, including the Magic Yarn Ball and another very special swap that is just too exciting to tell you about yet. Parcels are being put together for some new blogging friends. I love parcels.

And in breaking news, I bought a Teflon foot for my sewing machine. The idea here being that the oilcloth that I have started to sew with will glide through my machine like silk (or cotton, I'd be happy if it worked like cotton, even really heavy denim would suffice). I haven't tried it yet, it may not even fit my machine, but I love it when I find a foot for my machine that does a new tricky little job.

I think that will do.

And I do know what day it is. Happy Birthday Julie. My sister.

Hang on, funny story, I'm sure she won't mind if I share it. We shared a bedroom for many, many years growing up. I think it was last year that we both told each other that on a few occasions, each of us has woken up and called our husbands by the sister's names - ie. I have called Hamish, Julie. And before you go thinking this is all weird, it was the same bedroom.

And both of us can recite the verse that the Raggedy Ann alarm clock woke us with every morning.

"Andy, Andy, please wake up, it's time to call our friends...."

And on that note, I'm signing off.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could knit, or crochet even. I have tried knitting (just like I've tried driving standard instead of automatic). Both attempts worked, but not well enough to entice me to try again. Yet. But seeing your lovely handiwork I might have to give it another go (the knitting, not the shifting lol). Jo, I just remembered a wonderful yarn/quilt shop in my hometown in Wisconsin that I will have to visit for you!

1:43 am  
Blogger julie said...

Love the square!! - as you know, I love your knitted flowers and am very jealous of your knitting talent!! And the fabric flower is a lovely touch!
Enjoy your new foot!!!

2:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Another square for my wall of yarn. Thankyou so much for the little fabric flower, you really didn't need to, but i will enjoy wearing it.
Thanks
Nichola.x

8:41 am  
Blogger Megan said...

I saw Nundle Woolen Mills in a kitting magazine once, and desperately wanted to go for a visit. Not that I knit much, but places like that - they just make my heart beat faster.

Let me know how your teflon foot goes. I have some oil cloth I might try with a walking foot - I've heard that can work too.

9:44 am  
Blogger Anastasia said...

Cute square - that sure is a great shade of yarn shame about it being itchy for Alice heehee
wool makes me itch too...
My sister and I shared a room for many years too - looking back Im glad we did as Im sure it bought us closer!
looking forward to seeing more of your creative goodies....

11:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no, feeling quite the crap knitter now Ive seen your square for wall of yarn!! mine is quite sad indeed...

12:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the square - mine started out as a knitted idea and somehow ended up being crocheted...flowers as well so there might be a bit of a floral theme happening on the wall..with any luck I will get to see it all up when i pop down to Melbourne - I'll be sure to search this one out for a closer look.By the way, I'm doing the magic yarn ball swap as well - what fun!

12:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had that alarm clock and can't seem to remember the rest of "Andy, Andy, please wake up..." Which is frustrating, because I know they repeated it multiple times every morning when I didn't get up for school! How's the whole thing go?

12:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home