Friday, May 19, 2006

I'm a Winner !!!


Are you allowed to post about being a winner? I'm not sure if there is a bloging protocol for gloating, but indulge me for just a moment. Especially because the last art/craft thing that I won was in 1975 (yes, do the maths, that was 31 years ago, some of you weren't even born) when I won my prep grade colouring competition. It's been a long time between drinks.

I was one of the three winners in last weeks Whiplash challenge for the theme "Yarn". This challenge was one of the motivating factors for me to start blogging. It was like the last incentive that I needed. Previous to this challenge, I either didn't have the time or the creative urge just wasn't there. Last weekend there really wasn't too much happening and I really did just literally whip this up.

I have been knitting lots of flowers lately and because they are quick I thought they would make a good project. A flower is a flower though, so for me, the key was going to be in the presentation. My work is not intricate or especially unique, but I thought perhaps if my commentary was a little witty and my photo was OK, it may make a presentable entry. Far from my mind was it being a winning entry.

As a Mum at home trying to work out if the things she makes are half decent, my only feedback comes from a husband who says "yes" without lifting his head to look and two little girls who think anything their Mum does is great. Which is very beautiful, but not the subjective opinion I am after. To have an arena or forum like Whiplash for me, is great. And honestly, winning is just such a bonus.

I have found the commentary surrounding Whiplash a little interesting. Perhaps that comes from it being a competition with winners. (Says me - insert gloat again here). I entered as a way to showcase something that I had made to a larger audience and frankly, to see if I could generate a little more traffic my way. Just so as I don't feel like I am blogging to myself. Quite sad really. But that was all. I think some of the comments coming out are because there are some (can I say this) competitive people out there. Nature of the beast I guess.

Thank you to Kath for providing a forum for people to express their creativity. Now excuse me while I bask in the afterglow .....

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! Everyone deserves a gloat now and again.

6:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can gloat :) Congratulations!!

4:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with gloating, or a little self-promotion! You go girl!

2:04 am  
Blogger Anastasia said...

Hoorah!! way to go Jo!!

10:41 am  
Blogger Megan said...

Gloat away - well done. Enjoy your prize!

6:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home